Kansas Distinctive Plates

Kansas offers a wide selection of Distinctive Plates that can be purchased at the Sherman County Treasurer’s Office. If there is an annual Royalty Fee that can also be paid at purchase and renewal. 

This system makes it convenient for Kansas motorists to renew their vehicle registration electronically. There is a $3.00 per vehicle fee, this does not stay in the County, it goes directly for iKan development.                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

To renew online the following must be true: 

  • – The vehicle is currently registered in Kansas.                                   
  • – You have a Kansas Motor Vehicle registration renewal notice that
  • – contains a Personal Identification Number (PIN).
  • – Your address on the renewal notice is current.
  • – The vehicle is currently insured by a participating insurance company.
Vehicle Registration (New Residents)

Motor vehicle registration is required within 90 days of the date of establishing a Kansas domicile or residence, whether owning, renting or leasing. Once a vehicle is registered the owner is responsible for the annual renewals prior to expiration.

  • – To register your vehicle for the first time you must visit the Sherman County motor vehicle office located in the Treasurer’s Office. 
  • – To register your vehicle you must provide valid proof of insurance from a Kansas agent or Kansas no-fault liability insurance from an out-of-state agent on the vehicle being registered.
  • – To register jointly (Jane AND John Doe), both owners must be present. If both owners are not present during registration, then you will need to have the other owner fill out a Vehicle Power of Attorney and bring original for registration. We cannot accept a copy or faxed version of the Vehicle Power of Attorney. The motor vehicle can be registered by only one owner if listed as (Jane OR John Doe).
  • – To register your vehicle you must also refer to Vehicle Titling.
Vehicle Registration (Established Residents)

Motor vehicle registration is required within 60 days of the date the vehicle is purchased, which is the assigned date on the certificate of origin or title. A temporary or 60 day tag must be displayed on the motor vehicle until you receive your plate or tag at the time of registration. A temporary or 60 day tag may be obtained from a Kansas Auto Dealer or from the Sherman County motor vehicle office. A valid plate or tag from a sold or traded-in motor vehicle may also be displayed within 60 day of the date the vehicle is purchased. If not registered within 60 days interest and penalties may apply.

Once a vehicle is registered the owner is responsible for the annual renewals prior to expiration. 


Kansas Renewal Schedule

License plate renewals are based on the first letter of the registered vehicle owner’s last name.


First letter of your last name:

  • A | Last day to renew – February 28th
  • B | Last day to renew – March 31st
  • C, D | Last day to renew – April 30th
  • E, F, G | Last day to renew – May 31st
  • H, I | Last day to renew – June 30th
  • J, K, L | Last day to renew – July 31st
  • M, N, O | Last day to renew – August 31st
  • P, Q, R | Last day to renew – September 30th
  • S | Last day to renew – October 31st
  • T, V, W | Last day to renew – November 30th
  • U, X, Y, Z | Last day to renew – December 31st
Vehiclel Tilting




Kansas law requires that a motor vehicle must be titled in the state and county where the vehicle is garaged. Motor vehicles cannot be legally operated without a title.

New Vehicles

To title a motor vehicle you must visit Sherman County motor vehicle office. 


To title a new motor vehicle you need the following information:

  • – Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO)
  • – Valid Proof of Insurance from a Kansas agent
  • – Sales Tax Receipt OR Bill of Sale to pay at DMV when titling
Used Vehicle

To title a used motor vehicle you need the following information:

  • – Title
  • – Valid Proof of Insurance from a Kansas agent
  • – Sales Tax Receipt OR Bill of Sale to pay at DMV when titling
  • – Lien Release from previous owner’s lien holder if not released on title
  • – Titles issued out-of-state (not in Kansas) must have MVE1 VIN (vehicle identification number) verification.
Required Documents

Ownership Document

Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO) or Title


Sales Tax Receipt

If the vehicle is purchased from a registered Kansas Dealer sales tax should be collected by the Dealer. The Dealer will provide the proof of paid sales tax receipt to the owner. If the vehicle is purchased from a non-Dealer or an out-of-state Dealer this document will not be required and sales tax will be collected at the time of registration.


Valid Proof of Insurance

Kansas law requires that each motor vehicle carry a valid insurance card from a Kansas agent with the following elements as proof of insurance; the name of insurer, name of the insured party, policy number, effective date, expiration date, including current date, vehicle description, and vehicle identification number or VIN.


Kansas law requires that you carry “Kansas no-fault liability insurance” on any vehicle except a motorized bicycle so that, in case of an accident, the other vehicle and its passengers are protected.


Bill of Sale

If the motor vehicle is purchased new, the receipt must come from a Kansas Auto dealer. If the vehicle is purchased from an auto dealer outside Kansas, a bill of sale for sales tax purposes is needed. Sales tax rates are available from the Kansas Department of Revenue.


Vehicle Inspection Information

Kansas law requires the Kansas Highway Patrol to inspect vehicles that were previously titled in another state to verify the identification number or VIN number on the vehicle is genuine and agrees with the VIN on the out-of-state title. The inspection is required prior to the owner applying for an original Kansas title.


Vehicles that have been issued a Kansas non-highway title or Kansas salvage title, as well as vehicles that have been assembled or are homemade, are also required to be inspected. The inspection may require additional documentation regarding the history of the various parts used in the assembly and/or repair of the vehicle.


Most out-of-state titles can be inspected by the Goodland Police Department located at 204 W 11th (Goodland City Building).


Salvage titles will be completed by the Kansas Highway Patrol. 


For more information, location times or additional inspection locations visit www.KansasHighwayPatrol.org.


The following items must be presented to complete the inspection:

  • – Vehicle, Title and/or supporting documents (salvage, owner retain salvage, assembled vehicles)
  • – Valid Driver’s License for person presenting vehicle for inspection
  • – Inspection Fee 
    •      – $20 for regular MVE-1 inspection
    •      – $25 for salvage/prior or rebuilt salvage


Payment Information

When titling and registering, you may pay a registration fee and sales tax on a new or used vehicle, along with personal property taxes.


You may pay your tag registration using cash, check (with valid driver’s license and daytime phone number), money order, cashier’s check, or credit/debit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover). There will be a convenience fee charged by the payment processor for using a credit or debit card. 


If you are registering more than one vehicle, you may combine to make one payment.


There will be a $30.00 service charge per each returned check.

The Sherman County Treasurer’s office can perform the following functions for customers with commercial vehicles regardless of the county where the vehicles are garaged:
  • – Register new commercial fleets
  • – Renew existing commercial fleets


Commercial Vehicle Requirements

  • -The vehicle is used in furtherance of commerce AND any of the requirements listed below
  • – The vehicle has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or a combination of the two over 10,000 pounds
  • – The vehicle is designed or used to transport more than eight passengers, including the driver for compensation
  • – The vehicle is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation
  • – The vehicle is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials